It's a scientific fact that it is impossible to eat eggs for breakfast for 30 days straight without losing your f-ing mind. Thankfully there are tons of other delicious protein options for you to enjoy at your first meal of the day!
I had a craving for chorizo so I threw these bowls together during my meal prep for the week - they've got everything you need to kick off your day! Zucchini for vitamins and fiber, healthy carbs from sweet potatoes to fuel your morning, and protein from pork to drive your essential bodily functions. Top it off with some added fat such as avocado, guacamole, or Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime mayo and this meal will keep you full and energized until lunch.
Chorizo and Veggies Breakfast Bowls
Makes 10 Servings
- 3.5 pounds of ground chorizo
- 3 pounds of zucchini
- 2-3 bags of frozen cubed sweet potatoes (I have found them at Whole Foods and Tom Thumb)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil or other cooking fat
- Garlic powder to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional - diced avocado, guacamole or Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime mayo
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread frozen sweet potato cubes on a large foil or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on salt, pepper and garlic powder. You don't need to use precise measurements - remember that you can always add more salt after cooking if needed (but you can't take salt off once you have put too much in). Rub the oil and seasonings over the veggies with your hands to ensure an even coating.
- Pop sweet potatoes in to the preheated oven and set timer for 35 minutes.
- Wash zucchini and chop in to 1/2 inch rounds. Spread across foil or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat olive oil and seasoning process on the zucchinis. You may need two pans.
- Heat a tablespoon of cooking fat in your biggest saute pan on medium high heat.
- Crumble in the ground chorizo and stir occasionally. Brown until cooked through.
- Put the zucchini in the oven in the last 10-12 minutes of cooking. You may have needed two sheet pans for the zucchini - just start the second tray once you have more room in the oven and cook for about 10-12 minutes.
- Portion everything out in to separate tupperware containers and voila - you and your partner have breakfast prepped for the work week! Enjoy with diced avocado, guacamole, or Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime mayo.