This pumpkin and sausage soup reminds me so much of autumn at Hogwarts. It makes me feel like I've just sat down at the Hufflepuff table in the Great Hall after enjoying a walk through Hagrid's pumpkin patch in the crisp fall air.
This ultra cozy soup is really easy to make AND you'll have leftover sausage you can use for another meal. This recipe yields two servings but can easily be doubled (or more) for a larger group.
Autumn at Hogwarts Soup
Serves 2, with leftover sausage
- 1 pack of Whole30 compliant chicken sausage (I use Trader Joes Garlic and Herb)
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (make sure to thoroughly shake the can prior to opening)
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Olive oil (for drizzling in skillet and sauce pan)
- Drizzle olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Dice the onion and saute in the preheated pan until softened and beginning to brown.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir tomato paste, salt, garlic powder and pepper in to onions until well combined.
- Stir in pumpkin puree and coconut milk. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, drizzle olive oil in to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Chop sausage in to bite sized pieces. I like to slice each sausage in half lengthwise, then cut in to half moons.
- Heat sausage in skillet, turning once, until both sides are crisped to your liking.
- While sausage is browning, use an immersion blender to puree the soup (optional but recommended).
- Serve soup topped with sausage. Enjoy!